- Vaughan, Brian K - Y: The Last Man - 7.0
- West, Nathanael - The Day of the Locust - 7.5
- Xinran - Sky Burial - 6.9
- Yates, Richard - Revolutionary Road - 8.6
- Zeltserman, Dave - The Caretaker of Lorne Field - 7.3
There’s a couple of things worth mentioning about these last few letters of the alphabet. X and Z were surprisingly good considering they were “throwaway” letters.
I couldn’t help comparing Revolutionary Road with Rabbit, Run. They had broadly similar themes, in my head. Unhappy couples in the 1950s/60s who live dull lives. I thought Revolutionary Road did this far, far better. I understood the characters. Updike seemed to write off Rabbit’s wife as unexplainable - she was incredibly two-dimensional. Compared with April Wheeler, which was a very sympathetic portrait of a woman trapped in a life she didn’t enjoy.
Anyway, I’ll do a longer wrap-up post this weekend on LIFE-LESSONS and such.